From its earliest days, the history of Sycamore Baptist Church has been one of numerical growth and physical expansion. In October of 1878, Sycamore was organized. For several years prior to its organization, there had been much interest in forming a church in the community. When first organized, the name "Olivet" was chosen. However, by the time of the first church conference in March of 1879, Sycamore was the accepted name. Shortly thereafter, the church was provided land by Allen and Elmina Cotton and Washington and Mary Holland. A house of worship was soon erected on that land.
The Reverend James Jones became the first pastor in 1878. Under his leadership, the church began its alliances with other Baptist Associations and began expanding its ministry toward a full church program. Growing out of interest and need, a new house of worship was completed in 1924.
In 1956, the church voted to "go full time" and accepted a plot from Mr. and Mrs. Otto Harcum and Mr. and Mrs. Otis Harcum for the purpose of building a parsonage. The Reverend Vivian Evans became the church's first full time pastor and the parsonage was occupied in 1957.
The church constructed an education building in 1961. This building, immediately behind the sanctuary, provided much needed Sunday School space and a fellowship hall.
Over the past decades, Sycamore has made the transition from a church ministering to a fairly localized community to a church reaching in many directions to many families in this and surrounding communities. The congregation voted in March of 1986 to accept plans for a new building to include an elevator, kitchen, fellowship hall, and educational space. That new building was occupied in the fall of 1986. Construction following that addition included renovation of the educational space downstairs from the sanctuary and the expansion of the parsonage. Both of these projects were completed in 1991 In 1998, there was a major renovation in the choir and pulpit area of the sanctuary.
During it's entire history, Sycamore has continued to reach out in Christ's name. The sustained growth that has become characteristic of Sycamore resulted in its membership reaching 430 in 1992. In alliance with the Blackwater Baptist Association, The Baptist General Association of Virginia, and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, we strive to spread the Good News to this community and "the uttermost parts of the earth."